Get Involved with YALLWEST!
Find out how you can be a part of this year's festival.
WE NEED DOZENS OF ENERGETIC VOLUNTEERS FOR YALLWEST TO HAPPEN!
We are looking for Los Angeles-area residents who are able to attend training sessions.
If you’d like to earn your blue T-shirt, please sign-up below.
Commitment includes at least one four hour festival shift and one hour training session. Benefits include: T-shirt, keynote tickets, food at fest, and getting to be a major part of this exciting event.
Donate to the YALLWEST 2017
Our campaign to put books in the hands of kids - and to say the words that will get them to open them - could use your support! Now more than ever, it's our responsibility to get out there and change the story, maybe even the world.
YALLWEST is a non profit 501c3.
We'd love to help your group attend YALLWEST.
If you're from a school, library, scout troop, book club, church or other nonprofit/service organization, you probably qualify for free group tickets. It never hurts to ask!
YALLWEST offers sponsorship opportunities at the Presenting, Premiere, Laureate, and Literary Lion Level. Please use the form below and a festival representative will contact you with more information. You can find our official sponsor packet here.
YALLWEST maintains a selective exhibitor program. All vendors should meet to our mission of literacy outreach for young adult and middle grade readers. We will review all applications from our web form, and reply back as soon as possible.
Provide classroom libraries to teachers in underserved schools who go “above and beyond” to teach literacy and instill a lifelong love of reading in their students.
To be eligible for the Purple Ink Award applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Must be a classroom teacher in grades 3-5 OR an English/Reading teacher in grades 6-12 with a classroom lending library.
- 50% of the students must qualify for free or reduced lunch.
- Must teach in a school in Los Angeles County.
- The school principal or administrator must understand and fully support the project.
* The 2017 Purple Ink Award application period is open till April 14, 2018
In order to be considered, teachers must fill out the online application by April 14, 2018. The grant is awarded at YALLWEST, which takes place May 5, 2018. We encourage applications to be submitted as early as possible.
- A completed online application (see below)
Following your online application, a YALLWEST representative will follow-up with you for the remaining items:
- Book list
- Letters of Recommendation
First Place Winner will receive $1,000 worth of books for their classroom library. The award will be presented at YALLWEST on the main stage, on Sunday, May 1, 2016. The winning teacher’s classroom will be invited to attend YALLWEST.
Second Place Winner will receive $400 worth of books for their classroom library.
Third Place Winner will receive $200 worth of books for their classroom library.
*Book lists will be fulfilled based on price and availability. Titles should be listed in order of priority. Use the form provided at YALLWEST.com/PurpleInk and follow the directions included with the document.
Rules and Regulations
- Students must be free to borrow books to take home, though an official lending system is not required.
- Funds are for recreational reading material ONLY. Requesting textbooks and/or books that will be used as part of a formal reading curriculum (such as class sets) will result in immediate disqualification.