We'd love to help your school or literary outreach organization attend YALLWEST.
If you're from a school, library, scout troop, book club, church or other nonprofit/service organization, you probably qualify for free group tickets. It never hurts to ask! Due to overwhelming demand for the space, we had to cancel the school preview event from 9am - 3pm at the Santa Monica Public Library. We still encourage schools to attend our full Saturday event. And the Fierce Friday public preview event still happening from 4 - 8pm, tickets available here. Please fill out the educator form below for more information.
Grades 3 – 12 classroom educators should also check out our Purple Ink award to win 1k worth of books for your class. Details below:
We'd love to help your group attend YALLWEST.
If you're from a school, library, scout troop, book club, church or other nonprofit/service organization, you probably qualify for free group tickets. It never hurts to ask!
Provide classroom libraries to teachers in underserved schools who go “above and beyond” to teach literacy and instill a lifelong love of reading in their students.
To be eligible for the Purple Ink Award applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Must be a classroom teacher in grades 3-5 OR an English/Reading teacher in grades 6-12 with a classroom lending library.
- 50% of the students must qualify for free or reduced lunch.
- Must teach in a school in Los Angeles County.
- The school principal or administrator must understand and fully support the project.
* The 2017 Purple Ink Award application period is open till April 14, 2017
In order to be considered, teachers must fill out the online application by April 7, 2017. The grant is awarded at YALLWEST, which takes place April 29, 2017. We encourage applications to be submitted as early as possible.
- A completed online application (see below)
Following your online application, a YALLWEST representative will follow-up with you for the remaining items:
- Book list
- Letters of Recommendation
First Place Winner will receive $1,000 worth of books for their classroom library. The award will be presented at YALLWEST on the main stage, on Sunday, May 1, 2016. The winning teacher’s classroom will be invited to attend YALLWEST.
Second Place Winner will receive $400 worth of books for their classroom library.
Third Place Winner will receive $200 worth of books for their classroom library.
*Book lists will be fulfilled based on price and availability. Titles should be listed in order of priority. Use the form provided at YALLWEST.com/PurpleInk and follow the directions included with the document.
Rules and Regulations
- Students must be free to borrow books to take home, though an official lending system is not required.
- Funds are for recreational reading material ONLY. Requesting textbooks and/or books that will be used as part of a formal reading curriculum (such as class sets) will result in immediate disqualification.